Staff develop strong links with parents; as a result parents are closely involved with their children’s learning
Before your child starts school, we will visit you at your home in order to get to know your child in a familiar environment. We then offer a gradual admission into nursery, working with parents to provide the best possible start at our academy. We find that this allows the children to build a relationship with us, ensuring that they feel safe and secure in their new class. Parents will be invited to stay for a short time with their child on their first day with us. The time that they spend with us will gradually increase each day depending on how each child settles.
Joining our Nursery
At Oasis Academy Harpur Mount we believe that children's transition into the Academy is the key to successful lifelong learning. We understand the importance of ensuring that children feel safe and secure and believe that the best way to do this is to work together to ensure that every child gets the best possible start. Our induction procedures in the Early Years ensure that children are given time to build solid relationships with adults and their peers and to settle into their new unfamiliar surroundings.
Home Visit and Nursery tour
A home visit is our first meeting and one of the most important parts of transition, as this is the beginning our relationships with you and your child. It is important that this first meeting should take place in familiar surroundings. Many children will be coming away from home for the first time when they start school and we want them to feel safe and secure with the new adults they will be working with. During our visit we really want to know all about your child and to gain an understanding of how best to support them settling successfully into the Academy.
Following the home visit, you will be invited into the Academy to come and meet some of the staff and to have a look around. It is a fantastic opportunity for your child to explore their new surroundings with the comfort and support of having you with them. This will make the transition to dropping them a happy experience as they become used to the Nursery and staff.
Our Nursery staff will…
All staff will endeavour to help you and your child feel at home and staff are always available should you have any questions or concerns.
We will help your child to settle into our Nursery and care by:
- Talking with parents/carers
- Keeping a special watchful eye on your child in the first few sessions
- Helping your child to integrate and settle well into the Nursery environment
- To provide for the emotional needs your child e.g. to comfort and reassure them at any time.
- To care for your child’s physical needs e.g. to assist with toileting or snack time as appropriate.
- To identify your child’s needs and interests and incorporate them within the curriculum, ensuring that account is taken of race, culture, religion, language and family values.
- Observing, keeping records and monitoring your child’s progress.
- Liaising with parents/carers, encouraging them to contribute and support.
- To develop a day-to-day rapport with parents/carers, informing you of your child’s activities and achievements and being available, at the beginning and end of each day to answer any questions or concerns. This can also be achieved through phone calls and/or on our online app Showbie, where photo’s, observations and any messages can be posted.
- To liaise in conjunction with parents/carers and with statutory/professional personnel as necessary.