At Oasis Academy Harpur Mount we believe that learning should be a journey of discovery and excitement at all stages. Therefore we aim to provide challenging and engaging learning experiences both in and out of the classroom. Each child will have their own path to walk, their own journey, and we want to ensure that our curriculum and everyday teaching reflects this, so that everyone can end the year feeling like they are confident in their achievements and progress.
The curriculum is stimulating, with a good range of enrichment opportunities to provide children with experiences of the wider world. Teachers plan learning that reflects children’s interests and is well matched to their needs. Routines during learning are well established and time is used effectively.
In order to see the value in what they are learning our pupils' experiences should be firmly rooted in their day-to-day life. We want the lessons our children learn to carry with them outside of our classrooms and build the foundations of a passion for learning.
We follow the National Curriculum guidelines and also offer extra curricular opportunities for learning. Core Subjects covered in our curriculum are:
- English Language and Literacy - speaking listening, reading, and writing
- Phonics - we follow a phonics programme from Nursery upwards.
- Speaking and Listening - effective and confident communication across audiences
- Reading - we teach reading skills daily and have a wide selection of books to challenge our young people
- Writing - creative and confident writing
- Mathematics - numeracy, problem solving and reasoning
- Science - learning to hypothesise, test predictions and draw conclusions about the world
- Computing - basic ICT skills and e-safety
- Religious Education - developing a mutual respect and understanding of different beliefs and cultures
- Humanities - history and geography
- Design Technology - building inquisitive and creative minds
- Music - learning to play an instrument, understand how music can make us feel (extra opportunities for music lessons)
- Art - mediums and perspectives
- PSHE - British values, citizenship, sex and relationships
Letters and Sounds
Our Phonics scheme is Letters and Sounds.
Letters and Sounds is a phonics resource published by the Department for Education and Skills in 2007. It aims to build children's speaking and listening skills in their own right as well as to prepare children for learning to read by developing their phonic knowledge and skills. It sets out a detailed and systematic programme for teaching phonic skills for children starting by the age of five, with the aim of them becoming fluent readers by age seven.
You can find out more about the Letters and Sounds scheme and download all appropriate learning resources directly from their website.